Monday 1 November 2010

Sooo...

I was attempting to create Simon the Ninja in 3Ds Max, when i suddenly realised, i had no idea how to make his limbs! His body is simple, just a sphere. But his limbs would have to be attached or grown, and then i would have to move them! It's hard trying to figure this stuff out on my own.

 But i tried any way. I thought over the modifiers I'd used so far, which weren't many. I ended up with extrude. Trial and error led me to Bevel, which looks better as a limb. Using this tool, i could create Simon's limbs from his body. A simple answer. But will i be able to move and bend the limbs separately from the body? I'll figure that one out tomorrow.

The simple Simon


Using Bevel to create the arms


Then the legs were made

After creating a mock up of Simon's bevel body, i discovered the select and link button. So i tried making Simon's body again, Using cones for the limbs. The cones look alot more like my first design.


Putting my cones on

Making sure the cones are aligned

Look! It's Simon
It took me a few goes to actually link something, but when i added more than three, it decided to unlink itself from random limbs. Shame. I really should do a tutorial, or something, to work that one out.

But my main problem is getting the limbs to move. There is obviously several buttons for it, but i have no idea where or what they are. I need to do some more exploring and experimenting.

Something tells me, that I've made this ridiculously hard for my self. Maybe i need to redesign Simon's body. Make it simple-like.

1 comment:

  1. im having same problem.. how do you link so they all move together without coming unattached? BAH lol x

    ReplyDelete