Wednesday 27 October 2010

Interactive space

Below is a link to my recently submitted interactive space project.

 http://makingnewmaps.com/ Diana Jones (I'm the female with the small afro)

Admittedly, it is not my final design. As it is quite bland, due to it's lack of colour, and does not flow smoothly in some places. I will be working on a better version.
To tell the story better, i will need to use words and meanings understood by my target market. My target market is 6-8 yr olds in Key Stage 1. As i was so focused on the pictures and their links, i did not plan my writing very well. This can be seen due my lack of words in the project. I have now researched on the National Curriculum website, what my target market can expect from reading material.
Extracted from the National Curriculum website:

Understanding text

They should be taught to use grammatical understanding and their knowledge of the content and context of texts to:
  1. understand how word order affects meaning
  2. decipher new words, and confirm or check meaning
  3. work out the sense of a sentence by rereading or reading ahead
  4. focus on meaning derived from the text as a whole
  5. use their knowledge of book conventions, structure, sequence and presentational devices
  6. draw on their background knowledge and understanding of the content.
I have to take this information in account in the redesign of my project. Should there be writing on every page, describing what happens? Will they know what an Armadillo is, or Identify that a Macaw is a Parrot? There's much i need to reflect on for the writng in this project. Perhaps I could use the scroll over html to store information, about these characters. It would help the children's learning and help them understand a bit better.
To present the story better, I'll need to add coulor. I'll add colour to the choices, like originally planned.To help the choices stand out to the rest of the picture. This reduces the amount of exploration, but help's the child focus as well. I will either have to colour the orignal pictures in my sketckbook, or on photoshop. But this also brings out the consideration of the colours themselves. How bright should the colours be? Should the colours be natural, or just entertaing? And will those colours be enugh? I believe i should add colours in to some of the backgrounds or characters. For the background, mostly greens for the leaves and trees and occasional flowers. I might colour the Macaw, as this may help identify it with the children.
The constant use of arrows, to move on to the next picture, annoys me a little. it truly takes away any form of exploration for the child. Perhaps when the pictures are fuller of colour, i can find a way to replace some of the arrows.
But the overall design was good, the main character is cute and compatible with the user. I know the main character is not always consistent, especially in the arms, but that's not so bad, as saru always has the correct amount of resembling limbs. I understand tat many changes need to be made, and i will hopefully get to make them.

No comments:

Post a Comment